Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Melbourne to Auckland

Monday 15 June 2009

4.30am

I am thinking that I should not have continued with the wine and my teeth are aching because I flossed them very hard. I wonder if I should just get up and read for a while, perhaps I could just fall asleep on the couch?? Not a good idea. Sleep - here - now. I can hear a few birds chirping so I think that it might be around 6am. I am wrong, it is only 4.30am.

8am

I am up and showered, Sarah arrives, Chris gets up. We flit around the flat doing last minute things that should have been done already. Chris hands me a bit of paper that I need to fill in with details that are not handy!! Shit!! What else haven't you given me?

10.30am

My 150ml of Olay moisturiser, macleans toothpaste and half a bottle of water are confiscated at customs. I am furious and cursing my way through the gates. Chris understands that I need to have breakfast before I explode.

12pm

We take off bang on 12pm and I am impressed. Immediately we have begun our in flight entertainment - I have chosen "Valkyrie" - which takes up the majority of our flight to Auckland. The headsets are always too big for my small head so I am constantly arranging them appropriately. Dudley, our captain spruiks the wonders of his crew continuously and I can't help but suspect that they may be new recruits. From my observations they are of an average age of 38 which makes me think they are more than experienced. It is difficult to focus on the movie which I knew would be an issue but I persevere. I have my toe socks on, I am relaxed, fed with a nice meal and all's right with the world..........until...........a baby cries. Half an hour before our descent this baby is screaming non stop and there is not a whisper from the parent/s. Then another one starts. WHAT!!!! You have got to be joking!!!!

Valkyrie ends and I begin to watch the original Frost/Nixon interviews but Dudley keeps making announcements about the rainy weather and the right hand turn we need to make before going through the intersection to get to runway 5. Personally I would be taking a left hand turn Dudley, it is peak hour!!!! And once again we are reminded of the fabulous team we have on board servicing us today. I abort my cinematic experience and move on to listen to music and start my journal.

5pm

Auckland. As we sit in the terminal awaiting our connection, we partake in another beverage and a snack. We are bored, reading, writing, chatting, wondering why no one has sent us any messages. Of course we know why but we miss contact with the outside world. A visit to the toilets proves to be very entertaining. With a sliding door and button to press for locking, you are also treated to a very polite and welcoming female voice telling you how to open/close the door. Upon your departure you will be asked to stand clear as the door is now opening and with your first exiting step you will be asked to "please come again!" I wonder if the male toilets have a male voice? I send Chris in but he goes to the wrong toilet.

No comments: