Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Friday 3rd July

As we are nearing the end of our trip I am slowing down. There isn't a whole lot in LA I want to see which is interesting. Before we left I had every day packed and San Fran was pretty chilled. It's turned out the opposite.

I take the train back to Hollywood and arrive in perfect time for the Kodak Theatre tour. Home of the Oscars, I am pretty excited. I feel pretty special to be here and have a smile on my face the whole time. The theatre is wonderful and if you happen to be NVI(not very important) and get a seat in the top tier at the back, you might as well not be there. But really, who is going to say no to an invitation?

Each year in September a ballot is held to give away 500 bleacher seats on the red carpet. They start the ballot this early as each person is subject to an intense security check. After the stars have entered the building on the night, you are whisked across the street to a venue for a meal and to watch the show. It's all for free!!!!

We are given a special postcard that isn't available to buy anywhere because we couldn't take our own photos. I forget to take a photo of the outside.

Nearby or I find, not so nearby, is the 75 year old Farmer's Market which is like a giant food court. It is so busy but I am displaying incredible patience getting through the crowds and find myself a seat for lunch. Next door is The Grove, an upmarket, beautifully manicured and designed shopping mall. I have a look around but it's not that interesting so I jump on a bus and head back downtown.

Oh what a surpise, I go to Macy's! My discount card is still valid so I really should buy something. The weather makes me think about going to Santa Monica beach for a swim tomorrow so I buy swimmers at 60% off. The trying on phase is not too traumatic, probably because I am trying a suitable style. I throw into my purchase a couple more Godiva chocolate bars. Awesome chocolate and very expensive normally.

My shin is giving me so much pain that I really think I should be on crutches. I wonder how I will manage back at tap class. Time for something to eat and I find that many cafes and restaurants are closed for the holiday weekend so wonder what I am going to do about dinner. I end up at an Irish/American pub where I am asked for ID by a large black man. I say to him "do I need it?" He responds hesitatingly "ahhh, I think not." Good man!

I order pasta with prawns and it is awful. I eat most of it but only because I am hungry. I just want to go home now with some alco-pops and put my feet up. There is nowhere open to buy them. I discover that you need a hard liquor licence to sell spirits whereas you can sell wine and beer at places like 7/11 and the chemist. I settle on some Rolling Rocks. I watch a bit of TV and find a crazy woman hosting an entertainment show with a special on Michael Jackson. I get bored, read for a bit, then sleep.

No comments: