Sunday, July 5, 2009

Saturday 27 June

A big day ahead so I am up at 6.45am. I am so impressed with my consistent early mornings. Today I am walking in the East Village according to Lonely Planet but skipping a few parts. It's obviously one of the poorer areas but that's not to say it's a down and out zone. Following the map, I go through Tompkins Square Park which is clearly a druggie station. It's about 8am and I see a guy at a table who looks like he is preparing his trade. I am a bit unnerved and am glad to see the exit.

I hear someone shouting out to me as I cross the road and look at my map. "Hey, where are you going?" I let him know I am fine and on track. Let me introduce to you, Joey from Florida. Today he is 46 and he is on a bus tour staying at the Marriott, Times Square. This part I find difficult to believe. He is feeling lonely and asks me how tall I think he is and then how tall I am. The same questions keep popping up over the next half hour as he follows me around, he really wants some company. He keeps kissing me on the cheek and a couple of times I only just manage to turn my face away. Euw!!! Soon I tell him I have to go and get on with my day. I seriously don't want to talk to him anymore. I am concentrating more on him not doing anything weird than the surrounds I actually came to see.

I subway it to Times Square and check out some souvenirs before going to the box office for God of Carnage. These tickets are not available at TKTS, it is the hottest show in town after winning the Tonys for Best Play and Best Actress. I get the last single ticket for Sunday's matinee. It's in the upper circle, back row - $81.50. Oh well, I have to see this show. The cast - Marcia Gay Harden, James Gandolfini, Hope Davis and Jeff Daniels.

Next stop is Central Park and I rent a bike for 2 hours. I didn't check the bike properly before I left so I feel like I am riding a child's bike with my legs folded up. The seat won't rise because there is a rack on the back in the way. I wasn't given the lock so I couldn't stop to do some of the things I wanted to. BUT I am so glad to be off my feet.

Discovering I cannot ride through all the pathways, just around the perimeter defeats the purpose of me having the bike so I am bit cranky. I stop at the Conservatory Pond to eat my lunch that I picked up from the deli outside the park. Back on the road and I see nothing but trees. Beautiful yes, but you know, trees are not exclusive to New York City. Soon I discover they have a pool and I stop to imagine myself having a swim, cooling off. This is the ice rink in winter. I am really enjoying the ride now regardless of the setbacks. Uh, oh here come the hills. My legs do not need the extra effort but there is no way around.

After just over an hour I have had enough so I take the bike back. I try to tell the 2 people (twice each) that I did not get the lock and the seat did not go up. I was conveniently ignored. No recommendation here.

I catch the bus back uptown to the NYC Museum which is interesting but not quite what I had in mind. I buy a book and get another bus down to the MET. I still want the jigsaw but it is gone!!! I ask about it and someone goes downstairs and comes back with half a dozen. Yay!

Time to head back downtown for a photo of the Flatiron Building. It really is a sight to see when you first see it from the correct angle. I asked a local to take a picture for me but he kept missing me and I gave up, moved away and asked someone else. It is very difficult having others take photos for you, they never get what you really want.

In agony I hobble to the subway and head for home via the supermarket and wine store. I discover that you can buy beer anywhere including the milk bar and chemist but you can't get wine. It is troubling. I get some buttermilk fried chicken and salad from the self serve. I am staying in tonight to rest up. It's already 8.30pm when I get home anyway and it won't be long before I am asleep.

However, as soon as I open the door and before I take a step inside I hear "guess what happened to me?" Before I can answer I learn that Chris has had his wallet stolen - from the back pocket of his low slung, loose fitting jeans. Easy target!) I will need to lend him money for the remainder of the trip which is 1 week. It's lucky I have the money. Of course I am sorry for him but if you are thinking my tone is harsh, it is.

No comments: