Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wednesday 24 June

I have to sleep in this morning, just for an hour but my the time we leave we are 2 hours behind schedule. Not in the plan.

We go to Madison Square Garden but miss the first tour so book in to the 1.30pm and go across to the Empire State Building. first we go on the Skyride which is a simulated helicopter ride. It's lots of fun but does make me feel a bit sick by the end. Chris definitely doesn't like it but is a trooper for coming on.

We get the elevator to the 80th florr and have to wait for another lift. It's about a 25 minute wait but we are allowed to walk up the stairs the last 6 floors. This is good because we don't have much time. It's very crowded on the deck and you have to be a bit pushy to get to the fence for a photo and just to look. Yes, it is amazing but I'm over views from observation decks.

Time to go back to MSG and the tour is very good, the guide Craig (said like Crag) is excellent and knows his stuff. The stadium isn't as big as I expected but it is pretty cool. It's time to go our separate ways and as we do my bag strap breaks. Oh great, that's just what I need - the frustrating search for a new bag while carrying the old one. It will be several hours before I find a suitable one in Macy's for less than half price.

Off to TKTS and I get my ticket for Our Town which is a play that I have wanted to see for years since I performed a beautiful monologue from it. I decide to go shopping but am not having any luck. Victoria's Secret is so packed but I try on some stuff because...I can! It is so overrated and nothing fits me. What a surprise! A lot of stores are so big that the staff communicate via personal radio headsets. It's very efficient and I am impressed. The wait for fitting rooms everywhere is ages and my feet are screaming at me - Sit Down, BITCH!!

Next stop Macy's, the largest store in the world! I buy a dress at 60% off with the sale and my discount card. I am rapt to discover the discount lasts for 30 dayss so I am happy to shop. Now is when I get my bag. I have a skip in my step now. As I leave the store I say to myself, I will be back for jewels and lingerie.

It's time for me to head to the West Village for my play. I get lost immediately when I come out of the subway. If I had gone right instead of left I would have been there within 2 minutes. The neighbourhood is gorgeous and I finally find the theatre. I have time for a couple of drinks so go around the corner being careful not to take unnecessary turns so I can find my way back. I have 2 cocktails, they are so cheap.

My seat is in the back corner seat but it's no bother as I can see perfectly. The show is wonderful and I think I did a better job on my monologue, of course. What I like about the shows here is the curtain calls don't go on forever like they do at MTC. Really it is so indulgent and not needed.

On my way home the fruit and veg lady is still working at 10.30pm and I see limes. I ask her for 1 and she says $1. I think that can't be right - and it wasn't. She bags up 15 limes for $1. What the hell I am going to do with them all is anyone's guess. It's late and I write my journal before lights out.

No comments: