Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wednesday 1 July

I'm up early at 7am because I am too restless. We are heading to Santa Monica today so we jump on the bus and get there 1 and 1/4 hours later, not realising we could have caught the train and probably been there in 40 mins or so. Anyway once there, we head to 3rd St Promenade for some shopping. We pass through a street market with the best looking produce I have seen in ages. It is mouthwatering but it would be a pain to carry stuff around if I buy anything. We split for an hour to look at different things and I make a couple of purchases. We go over to the famour Santa Monica pier and walk to the end for photos. The beach is lovely and so wide. You will see from one of my photos.

We start the pleasurable but a bit too long for blistered feet walk to Venice Beach. My blisters have actually almost gone but my shin is in agony and gives way a couple of times. The compensation my other muscles made to help my blisters is causing me a lot of grief. Strolling through the stalls is monotonous as one would expect I suppose and I am glad that I do not make my living this way. I was going to say the competition is mad but that would be forgetting the madness of my own industry. Muscle Beach is a non event for me as I am not into the bulging muscles of show offs. The highlight is seeing an old man in his street clothes doing his sit ups outside the gym enclosure.

It's already mid afternoon and our intention of going to Hollywood is put off until tomorrow. We jump on a Big Blue Bus (that's what they are called), get the directions we need and go home. We bus along Wilshire Blvd and it must be one of the longest streets ever. It is a very bumpy and busy road and we are moving at a cracking pace. We certainly do not want an accident now. A young-ish woman gets on while talking on her cell phone. She is is having an argument with some type of business and she goes on and on for at least 20 minutes - until she gets off.

The bus route finishes right near our hotel so we go in to freshen up and go for dinner. I look through the brochures and do some internet research for a place and choose Rocket Pizza Lounge around the corner. Warner Brothers are filming just nearby but the guard won't tell me what they are shooting. My meal is fantastic. I have a salad of spinach, tomato, apple, almonds, caramelised walnuts and raspberry viniagarette. I will definitely be making this one at home. My pizza is awesome too and I eat everything. I go home very satisfied.

No comments: