Thursday, December 4, 2008

Baby Talk and the Elusive Home Ownership

It seems that the government wants to throw MORE money at those who want to have (more) children. I have just read somewhere that adding another child to the family will earn you $1000 or something along those lines. Why should they be GIVEN money for doing something that they CHOOSE to do.

I know the government is all about procreation and trying to make our population "younger" because we are living longer and that is fine but hang on a minute. Surely my taxes could be spent on something useful to me!!!!!

I don't want children and haven't for a very long time. No partiuclar reason other than I have no biological clock and no desire to have any. This does not mean I don't like children, contrary to what most people ASSUME when they learn this piece of information about me. I worked in childcare for a short while and enjoyed it very much but it did not induce clucky thoughts. What insults and angers me the most is when people say to me "oh, you'll change your mind"....Ahh, excuse me? NO, I WON'T! End of story.

Phew! I really needed to get that last paragraph in print. Back to the $1000. Or rather on to the $7000+ that the government would like to give 1st home buyers. That is a great incentive and with advice coming to me about buying the elusive home I started to consider this purchase seriously. A few months down the track and reality knocks on my door to say, "it ain't gonna happen, sweetheart!" And I am okay with that. It's just another one of those things that is not a priority in my life. Something else I don't desire. But it's convincing other people when conversing about these things. Just because you want it and a hell of a lot of others do, it doesn't mean I do. I'm not going to drink Scotch because you like it. It really is that straightforward.

So.......

Why can't I have the $7000 to put towards my rent?
Why can't I have the $1000 to put towards a holiday?

I know that is ridiculous and not the purpose of the handouts but I get a bit put out when lifestyle choices are rewarded with our tax money.

No comments: