Thursday, December 4, 2008

Back To Black

This week sees me begin a new job, one where I have to wear a uniform. The best thing about that is not having to decide what to wear every day which is what we all complain about. A shirt and belt are provided (for a fee)!!!! On the bottom half we wear our own black pants. Now this might seem easy you think but let me explain this uniform business a little better.

The pants must be smart and professional looking which is not a problem for me, being the stylish woman that I am!! It is a problem for the many pretty young blondes that have been employed alongside me though as I saw from our media launch yesterday. Presentation is an issue for some people. Anyway that is not what I am here to talk about. Back to the pants! The pants must have belt loops and not have skinny or gigantically flared legs.

I have a pair of pants that do the job nicely, however I will need more than one pair if I am going to be working several shifts a week. So today I went shopping for these elusive black pants. I knew I was going to have trouble as most of the pants these days are low slung and tight fitting without belt loops.

First stop was Myer because I have a gift voucher to spend. I knew this was a hopeless cause. I first went to ladieswear rather than Miss Shop in the basement but that was my first waste of time. Across to Sussan where I was lucky to get my current pair. I tried on 2 styles but no go. Next door in Portmans I knew it would be another waste of time but I tried. Then I scooted up to Target where I was quite confident although I had recently done the search for black pants here so I would be scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Target has thousands of pants and I mean thousands, displayed with no form of organisation at all. I tore that place apart and tried on 9 pairs without luck. Okay now it was back to the Basement at Myer. I had trouble because it is so dark down there you can't see what the pants look like. On to Witchery and Jackie E where I thought I would find something quite nice but I didn't. My last option was to head over to DFO at Spencer Street but I didn't really want to go there, time was ticking on. I stopped in a 2nd Sussan store to see if they had any different styles to the other store and I tried on 3 pairs.
Eureka! It took me an hour and a half to find THE pair that "will do". Not perfect but close enough in these slim, skinny, daggy fashion times. And they were on special, thank you very much!

It's not easy shopping for basics.

No comments: