Thursday, December 4, 2008

King Lear Review

Okay, I went to King Lear last night and I am disappointed to report that I was underwhelmed. I nearly didn't go back after interval but that was because I was ridiculously tired from working 2 jobs.

Needless to say though Ian McKellan was out of this world. I didn't expect anything less but what an absolute inspiration to watch. He does insane brilliantly! I was mesmerised!
I don't have actors names for the other roles and I haven't investigated their biogs but I imagine the whole cast to be seasoned professionals.

The guy playing Edmond was atrocious. EVERY. WORD. WAS. IT'S. OWN. SENTENCE. OTHER. WORDS. WERE. EXXXXTENNDED SOOO MUCH that he sounded like a stuck record. It was excruicating!

The women did the same for the most part and I had to wonder what the hell went on in rehearsal. Cordelia walked around half bent over and every time she spoke her arms stretched out accentuating her bent over posture. Regan took on an almost psychotic state when Gloucester was having his eyes poked out and while it was a fantastic performance it was over done and seemed like it came from another play.

Edgar was sensational but needed to have more distinction between the accents he was using to hide his identity from his blind father. That's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things......well not really....we are talking about the Royal Shakespeare Company!!

I did have trouble understanding some of the actors at times with poor enunciation. Quite the opposite to the times they were overdoing it. I don't think the sound was terribly good and trying to understand Shakespeare language is difficult enough without having to strain your ears. I'm glad I knew the story (well, what I could remember) as I don't think I would have had a clue what was going on. I did have the feeling that I was being spoken to as if I didn't understand English very well.

The costumes were great and the ladies dresses stunning. I loved the set and the entrances/exits through the audience.

As I said I almost didn't go back to the 2nd act but I'm glad I did. I rarely walk out of a show and this one certainly didn't warrant that. I did expect more from RSC but at the end of the day I finally got to see a major production of Lear with an incredible leading man which is what I wanted.

No comments: