Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Curse Of The Crisp

I never used to eat crisps except at parties, bbqs etc but for some strange reason this year I have had an increasing addiction to them. I like to have a glass of wine most nights and a little nibbly such as the potato crisp goes a long way as a complementary food item. Unfortunately this item is LOADED with fat and salt. Therein lies my problem!

I have been a regular exerciser for many years and have luckily managed to avoid the increasing waist line that comes with age. Until now. 2006 has been a crazy year for me with all kinds of upsets and dramas and it doesn't take long before it all just gets too much. Oh don't worry, there is nothing major to report but it does give the story a bit of suspense, does it not?

I didn't really believe in the middle aged spread - not that I am middle aged - but you always hear about women and men who complain that once you are over 30 ish it is harder maintain your weight. I turned 37 in March so I guess this problem, for me, has come late in life. And now I believe it!

Don't ask me how it all started because I wouldn't have a clue but I know that Red Rock Sea Salt Potato Chips have something to do with it. And then I moved on to Pringles and as we all know..."once you pop, you can't stop". How true those words are.

My clothes started to be a little uncomfortable and soon enough I found myself sulking over my skinny clothes as I took them down from their hangers, folded them and put them at the back of the cupboard. I simply couldn't throw them out or put them in the donation bins...not yet...I might be able to fit back into them. Some of them are so nice and I barely got to wear them. Do you know how hard it is to find the perfect pair of black pants? It can be a traumatic experience.
Now I am not overweight by any means and most people will say there is nothing wrong with my figure, blah blah blah but everyone has some kind of issue with their own body whether it be their nose, muffin top or hairy back (oh god, did I have to say that - they really should not exist).
After a long while I managed to cut down significantly on the crisps but tonight I succumbed. I had a shitty day at work and I wanted to sulk over my Houghton's White Burgundy (Classic) and my Pringles. Well actually they are Smith's Stax. As soon as I popped I regretted it. They now sit in front of me, the first 10 or so eaten, my white burgundy next to them, tempting me to put on 2 kg overnight.

But I won't do it, no I won't. I will be good and nibble in moderation. I know, why don't I take them to work for friday drinks? What a great idea! I will let you know if I actually do that. In the meantime, cheers!

No comments: