Thursday, December 4, 2008

Melbourne Film Festival 2007

I love this time of the year in Melbourne. I love it because I work at the film festival and I am surrounded by movies, movies, movies (free ones!!!).

Wednesday 25th is the opening night of the festival and the film to have this honour is "Sicko", Michael Moore's latest stab at the US medical system. Of course, the best part of the night is the party with the free booze, even if we do get kicked out at 1am.

I have been working at the festival for 7 years and always had a fantastic time. I have seen some amazing films that have never been released, some atrocious ones that have and vice versa.
I'm not sure that I like the diversion from the opening night film being an Australian premiere - to select a film that will generate it's own publicity by director alone seems to be a bit of a cop out. Did we not have an Australian film strong enough to qualify?????

Anyway the party is what I want to discuss. It's a strange feeling for me. I want to network but I find it inappropriate in this particular social setting. I could be wrong, thus wasting many opportunities as I am not one to booze and schmooze, hence my place in the acting world. I don't want to be a groupie or someone that sidles up to a celebrity or "important" person and says "hey, I'm a great actress, can you give me a part in your next movie?"

Which, in the end, means I will just get drunk with my friends!

So, while I soak up the free champagne and pink grapefruit juce - not together, but I might just try that - everyone chases the waiters with the platters of food. There is NEVER enough food. I have been known to sit at the kitchen door with hunger, scratching at the swinging door, fighting off other guests!

I will have time to eat dinner before I go to the opening but I want to leave room for some nibblies so I can't eat too much if anything at all. Honestly, why am I worried about that? Once I start supping the bubbles my hunger will rise up, and out of the darkness of "satisfied" will come "starving", and I will hunt those waiters down.

I have arranged to have the following day off from one job and as luck would have it I have a late start for the other. The sleep in will be most welcome regardless of the success of the night.

The problem now is.....What am I going to wear!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: