Thursday, December 4, 2008

Doughnut Dalliances

Today I bought a doughnut from Walker's. Who? You might well ask. Has anyone in Australia heard of Walker's? In my opinion they are the poorer cousin of Krispy Kreme.

A couple of short years ago if you wanted a doughnut you would go to Donut King - herein known as DK. I love their doughnuts and to find an outlet that has caramel icing is a bonus. When Krispy Kreme - aka KK - arrived in Sydney the people went crazy. Not just in Sydney but in Melbourne and I am sure around the countryside. It was like no one had ever had a doughnut before in their life!!!

I was working at a designer pyjama business when I first tasted KK. Much to my surprise and delight we had them couriered in from time to time. What a treat! I had in fact already written to KK to ask them when they were coming to Melbourne such was my desire to taste the elusive ring. My taste buds were not disappointed by the melt in the mouth combination of yeast and sugar. I now understood the craze.

It was to be months before the first sighting of KK in Melbourne was to happen and months later again that purely by chance I found the Collins St store - on opening day no less. Serendipitous! Not long after there was a store in Melbourne Central. I have only tried a few flavours and that is enough for me as the Original Glazed hits the spot. The others are over rated.

I popped in to the Walker's store today as I thought "I really ought to try their doughnuts" and I have time to sit with a coffee before I start work. When the sales assistant said it cost $2 I was surprised as I expected it to be more. A KK doughnut is over $2 although I do not know the exact cost and a DK one is under, I am pretty sure. Walker's looked remarkably like KK so the expectations were increased a little.

So sitting in the staff room, doughnut in one hand, tabloid magazine in the other and coffee nearby, I was ready for my sugar and celebrity fix. With the first bite not even bitten off I could tell this was an inferior doughnut. The dough was doughy and did not melt in my mouth. There is nothing else to describe about this sweet treat. Of course I finished it but I have no memory of it being enjoyable.

This means that my loyalty lies with DK. I can get a simple cinnamon doughnut (hot or cold) or one with icing of caramel or chocolate. I even get to choose the colour sprinkles I want. I know other yummy doughnuts they have are the custard and apple or their own glazed. Viva Donut King!

As my free time came to an end I found that I was wincing each time I flipped the pages over to reveal yet another perfectly formed and tanned body. My haunting lack of respect for my body these days is disturbing. Let's face it, I was jealous. But wait! These women may not eat doughnuts and write blogs about them but they could be jealous of me! Yes, they could! After all, I do not have the paparazzi in my face all day every day hoping to catch me on celluloid with said doughnut in my mouth.

No comments: