Thursday, December 4, 2008

Not The End Of The World

OH dear!

I had to update my online biographies(resumes)and seeing the facts in cold, hard typeface has dealt me another blow to my body image. "What have I done to deserve this?", cried The Pet Shop Boys!

At 37, do I have to just deal with this or is it a phase I am going through?? Am I denying my age and the body changes that come with it?

Well, I have no issue with my age, never have, can't see that I ever will. My problem is with my state of mind, a lax attitude to exercise when I used to be so disciplined and my love of food/wine. They are the enemies of my body. Love thine enemy, as they say!

To talk about one's weight increase is easy to laugh at and dismiss but when you are asked your measurements at every casting, it becomes a blinding reality. Yesterday I went along to a casting for a TVC and I ran into a very good friend of mine. Since I dyed my hair brunette, I have thought that my look was now very similar to hers (which is understandable given we are going for the same role). Anyway, we made some asides about weight etc, and she is a very busty babe so when I commented on my vitals, she said......"I know, look at these!" Wow! My eyes popped out! We felt each other's pain.

As we continue to age, we continue to grieve for the body we once had. I guess I am lucky to have had a good figure for so long. Mind you, I had to work hard at it! There will always be a friend to console with, that does not take offence when you notice their weight gain and vice versa. The best thing to do is laugh at yourselves, shrug your shoulders and say..."hey, it's not the end of the fucking world, let's go and have a drink!"

No comments: