Thursday, December 4, 2008

King Lear

I am going to see Sir Ian McKellan in King Lear and I am ecstatic!!!!

I don't go in for Shakespeare much, I have never seen a performance in the gardens and there are only a few of his stories that I will make an effort to go to. The only live productions I have seen are Much Ado About Nothing, Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest and Julius Caesar with Robyn Nevin. I think I got free tix through work!! I can generally do the movie versions and the following I have thoroughly enjoyed: Hamlet (Laurence Olivier, Mel Gibson & Kenneth Branagh), Much Ado About Nothing, Titus (Jessica Lange) Romeo & Juliet and King Lear (tv version with Ian Holm - amazing).

I have never performed in a production of Shakespeare but I did have to learn a monologue for an audition years ago. I chose Phoebe from As You Like It. I did a good job but it's not a style of performance I enjoy too much.

Anyway, ever since I saw Ian Holm as Lear I have been waiting and waiting for a major production to come to Melbourne. When I saw the notice that it was coming to the Arts Centre I knew I would fight tooth and nail for a ticket. I had to see this show!

Of course the months have gone by and all of a sudden it is July and I remember that I must buy this ticket. Oh god, will it be too late, sold out, crap back row tickets?? I searched online for my ticket, willing to the gods for a half decent seat on any night at any cost (within reason)...........N33! Yes, yes, yes, I want it!

Christopher Columbus! No credit card. I must go to the box office in person. I knew I had to do that anyway, I just wanted to add some drama to the story! So off I went to the Arts Centre and purchased my ticket. Naturally the one I wanted had been sold but I got one just a few seats away and I am still very very happy. And how much did I part with? $119. I have never spent that much on a ticket before but I know it will be worth it. I really am beside myself with anticipation.

Oh god, I just thought of something.....I can guarantee that when Ian McKellan walks on to the stage he will receive an arousing applause. Whilst it may be well deserved it is a premature and interruptive presumption that I cannot stand.

Stay tuned for my review next weekend.

No comments: