Thursday, December 4, 2008

Things Happen For A Reason

Some people have a lot of good luck and some seem to attract bad luck. I have always felt that I attract the bad. No matter what I do and how positive I try to stay, things just don't seem to go my way. Now that, of course, is all within reason as I have had some great acting jobs this year and a lot of other good stuff has come my way.

But this story is not about me for a change!!!

When shitty things happen to us we curse, cry, laugh, have a meltdown, fire up and react in all kinds of ways. The religious pray to their saviour, the non religious pretend to pray to someone. Isn't it funny how that saviour more often than not doesn't answer our prayers?

A couple of weeks ago my friend – L – took her canine best friend – E – to another friend's place in the country for some well earned rest and relaxation. L has had a hell of a lot of shitty things going on for her of late. She is a smart and generous person who has more than once helped me in a crisis and has dropped everything to do the same for other friends in need.

While L and E were strolling around the shops they came across a little dog with a collar but no identity tags. The dogs became best friends immediately and everyone was having tons of fun. The new dog, let's call him Topsy, followed L and E everywhere for a while and L was considering taking him home as no one in this small town seemed to know who the dog belonged to. Soon enough it was time to part company and as Topsy ran on ahead he inevitably ran across the road and L witnessed him being collected by a car. Thankfully the driver stopped and she was in a terrible state of emotion. L picked Topsy up and took him to the side of the road and patted him until he closed his eyes. After a while L took him to the police station and they said they would bury him.

About an hour later L and E were driving along choked up with what had taken place and the car in front of them ran over a rabbit. L stopped and went over to the rabbit writhing in pain with blood everywhere. She rang her friend to find out the number of the vet and wrapped up the rabbit as carefully as she could. With the injured on her lap and E sitting in the back seat wondering who this stranger was getting Mum's attention, L drove to the vet. After giving the rabbit a check the vet said the best thing to do would be to put it down. She was very kind and said don't worry, I will look after things.

L went to the shops and bought some treats for herself and E and some booze. They went home and had a wake for their 2 new friends. The whole day was bittersweet with the absolute joy of the 2 dogs playing together and the sour turn of the deaths.

HOW do you walk away at the end of all of that in one piece? Your heart breaks with the first part of the story and then it is stomped on with the second. I cried when I heard the story and I have tears in my eyes now.

Bad things (or good things) happen in three's they say. Is it coincidence or just pure bad luck? No amount of praying is going to help in some situations so we tell ourselves things happen for a reason, it was meant to be, etc. Unfortunately sometimes they are empty words of solace and the intended effect does not last long before we spiral into a teary mess of woe.

Surely a person that is on the receiving end of the wrong type of luck so often does not deserve it. How does one deal with it on a regular basis? For myself I don't really know. I allow myself to feel what I have to, let it out (that may take a while) and take the time I need to to get over it. It may be an hour, a day, a week, a month and I don't deny the need to feel sorry for myself if it helps.

What about lady who ran over the dog? She was completely distraught as it was unavoidable. The remainder of her day would have been a rollercoaster of emotion too. And the driver who ran over the rabbit? Well, there was plenty of time to avoid the death but the driver didn't care about that and needless to say didn't stop. Karma affects everyone sooner or later.

No comments: